Saturday 12 January 2008

Potatato and Pea Curry

Necessity was the mother, father and midwife of invention in the case of this dish. I'd chopped an onion and 3 cloves of garlic in preparation for the shepherds pie I planned to make. Pulling the lamb mince from the fridge however, I found that It had passed it's use by date by about a week. Damn. I then decided to use what I had available to make a meal on-the-fly. The following recipe is the fruit of my labors and as it tasted pretty good I thought I might as well blog it.

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp Groundnut Oil
  • 3 Garlic Cloves, peeled and chopped
  • 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 hot Red Chili, seeded and finely chopped
  • 3 Sticks of Celery
  • 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into 2mm slices
  • Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp Curry Powder
  • 1 tbsp Garam Masala
  • 1 1/2 pints of Beef Stock
  • 1 can of Peas (or equivalent of the frozen variety)

Preparation
  • Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan
  • Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for a few seconds to infuse the oil
  • Add the Onion, Celery and Chili and fry on a medium-high heat until golden brown
  • Add the Potatoes and fry until browned
  • Shake in the curry powder and stir for 1 minute
  • Season with salt and pepper
  • Add the stock, stir and cook over a low heat for around 40 minutes until the potatoes are cooked
  • Crush about half the potatoes with a spatula
  • Add the peas and cook until warmed through
  • Add the Garam Masala
  • Serve

I served this up with some Tracklements Fig Relish and Indian Mango Chutney and it was excellent.

Shame about the lack of shepherds though. A little Bo Peep moment.


Blogged with Flock

No comments: