Tuesday 15 January 2008

Leek and Potato Soup

I was contemplating committing the heinous crime of going to my local Asda to pick up some tins of soup for lunch (they've go a deal on with Heinz Soup at the moment), when I remembered the copy of 400 Best-Ever Soups I picked up for £4.99 from WH Smith in the January sales. I also remembered the leeks and potatoes I had stashed in our conservatory, which doubles as a fridge this time of the year. Hmmmm... Half an hour later the following leek and potato apparition emerged from my kitchen and was laid to rest in my stomach.

Ah well, when in Scotland, cook leek and potato soup.

Ingredients
  • 3 Leeks, trimmed, washed thoroughly and diced
  • 1 Small Onion, peeled and chopped
  • 4 large potatoes (about 350g) peeled and chopped
  • 1 1/2 pints of chicken stock
  • 50 g of butter
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
  • Heat half the butter over a medium heat in a large pan until it's foaming.
  • Add the leeks and onions and cook gently for about 7 minutes until softened.
  • Add the potatoes and cook for another 3 minutes.
  • Add the stock and bring to the boil.
  • Cover and simmer on a low heat for 30-35 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
  • Season to taste with the salt and pepper and take the pan off the heat.
  • Chop and stir in the remaining butter.
  • For a smoother soup, liquidise all or part of the soup in a blender
  • Serve with hot crusty bread

Blogged with Flock

No comments: